Friday, February 29, 2008

FOs all over the place!

I finally finished the kitty hat for my niece. I made the pompoms huge, but I know she will absolutely love it. I used LionBrand Watercolors, in Waterlily. Its very pretty, a fluffy purple wool blend interspersed with pretty pastel threads here and there.I have been knitting away. I have finished 3 washcloths, but have yet to weave in the ends. They are sugars n cream and peaches n cream yarn. I don't remember which is which, but I like them all. I still have two colors I haven't done yet.
The purple one is done in a pattern called "Idiots Dishcloth". Its weird, because you knit the whole thing sideways, so it looks diamond shaped on your needles. I found it here. The next two are just a simple basketweave. I liked it the best, so I did it twice. I wanted to do the ballband dishcloth, but couldn't remember what it was called. And so then I noticed a day or two after I finished these three I had queued it on Ravelry. So, its pretty appropriate that my first dishcloth was the Idiot's dishcloth. I will do ballband next time. I have also managed to make a patch, but I still need to get the iron on backing before its finished. Thats on the shopping list for tomorrow. I have started a toe-up sock, I like the toe up. I tried to do the Baudelaire by Monkey A., but I don't like the way the lace pattern is working out. I will probably frog it and do cables instead, I LOVE cables. I have made 2 more tudoras, one for my mom and one for my sister. I love the tudora pattern, I need to make one for myself. I am getting rather fast at knitting them. Here is the one for my mom, as modeled by Sylvie:


The yarn is simply "Homespun" by Lionbrand yarn. The colorway is baroque. I liked it okay, I thought the color would be great for my mom. However, as I was knitting I realized, this color is beautiful! Isn't that funny how you can fall in love with a color as you're knitting it?

Speaking of beautiful color, I love the colors of "Vanna's Choice." Not that any yarns I have been using are fancy (except the hand dyed $22 sock yarn as seen above), but I think they are very nice. This is my sister Jamie's tudora in Vanna's Choice "Rose". My camera didn't quite do it justice, its a little more dusky than this. If you click on it, you can probably see the cute bone-heart button I got at Hancock's. I love it.

I had to model because Sylvie, my usual model, was eating with coworkers tonight. I like it, and probably have enough yarn left to make another, along with another button. My sis and I could be twinkies, ha. But I really love the silvery-blue Vanna's Choice, and its on sale everywhere, so I could just make one in that color for myself :)

On to school stuff. I watched several movies from our Middle Eastern Film Festival last week. They were all so good. Some were excessively sad, like "Turtles Can Fly". Its a Kurdish movie. "Gaza Strip" was the saddest, its about the stuff happening to the Palestinians in Gaza. Its terrible. I kept crying. Its heard to believe the Israelis (Jewish) are doing this kind of stuff (shooting off tanks into crowds of children and shooting at kids playing in "forbidden" areas) to the Palestinians (Muslim). Especially since they began this genocide in 1948, just a few years after the Germans did the same thing to them. They may not be putting people in work and death camps, but they are trapping people in ghettos where they are denied basic needs. I can't understand why the U.N. stands for this; supports it even. The Israelis are also breaking the rules set by the U.N. at the formation of Israel, that there would be no more settlements. They are settling and pushing out the former inhabitants (Palestinians) more and more all the time. Its disgusting and inhumane.
Well, I better watch my mouth before I get thrown in Gitmo. There were other good movies, like The Syrian Bride, The Children of Ibdaa, and West Bank Story. West Bank Story is hilarious, and in English, and on YouTube. Look it up and watch it, its only 20 minutes long. Hilarious. Sadly, I missed the Yemen movies, I was too lazy to drive to school that day. My professor has done extensive archeaological work there. Its a lovely place. Also I missed The Battle of Algiers, which was made in 1966. Its a big classic, you can find it at Barnes and Noble. It was cancelled because of the shooting.

Well now I need to look up some info on a presentation I have to give next week. I have to expound on the different theories of what triggered bipedalism in humans. Pretty easy, but I need to find some good pics.

1 comment:

Groovy Mom said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my site. Looks like you've been a busy knitter. Love it!!